These days, many people are opting to purchase a used lawnmower over a brand new one, simply because they would not be able to afford one otherwise. Choosing to buy used rather than new, however, does not mean that you have to forego good quality in the model of lawnmower that you absolutely buy. Simply by doing your research and asking the right questions, you may find that purchasing a lawnmower is the best decision you have ever made.
So, what are the best places to find used lawnmowers for sale?
- Online auction websites, such as eBay, are great places to begin your lawnmower search. You should, however, look for auctions that are located near to you, so that you can check out the lawnmower before purchasing and pick it up easier.
- Classified advertisements are also a good place to start, as you can even place an ad stating that you are looking to buy a lawnmower. As these advertisements are generally organized based on location, it's even easier to find one nearby to you.
- Online forums could also be a good place to check out, as many lawnmower and gardening enthusiasts may indicate that they have a mower for sale or be able to point you in the direction of someone else who does.
Once you have found a used lawnmower that you are interested in buying, you need to ask the seller the right questions to ensure that they are not trying to rip you off:
- Have any parts been replaced and how much did they cost you? This will give you a fairly good idea of how much you will need to spend the lawnmower break down, as well as give you a good idea of which parts may be on the way out.
- Why do you want to sell? This question can take a lot of sellers by surprise (especially if they are selling for less than honorable reasons), but often it is due to moving house or upgrading.
- How often does the lawnmower need to be served and where can I get this done? This question can immediately indicate which sellers have looked after their lawnmowers and which have not (those that have will be able to answer you no problems).
- How much does the lawnmower cost to run? As well as looking at how much petrol it takes to mow a block, you should also ask about oil and any other associated costs.
Buying a used lawnmower does not mean that you will end up with an ancient, hand-powered model that will chew your lawn up and spit it out. As long as you ask the right questions and look in the right places, you can ensure that you make a good decision in a used lawnmower.